Thursday, March 5, 2020

Character Development is Crucial!

Before writing the script, my partner and I thought it would be super important to decide and develop the characters for our screenplay. We ended up deciding to make our main character a girl named Hazel and a boy named Lucas.  We decided that we wanted to make Hazel a teenage girl who is a tad bit shall I say crazy and bit quirky. We would be able to convey this with mise en scene elements such as room decor and her clothing. We want to make Lucas a laid back, super chill dude. He doesn't really care about much and just goes with the flow. My partner and I created a list of character traits that we wanted our characters to have. This will help us in scriptwriting because knowing the personality of our characters will allow us to write dialogue that matches the character. in our film, the dialogue is going to be super important. Our whole film revolves around a conversation after all.

When developing Hazel's character, we sort of based her off of the one and only.....me! It was then easy to develop Hazel because my partner and I just started writing down things about me. My partner is one of my best friends so it was easy for her to identify my character traits. 

When developing Lucas, we thought of those nonchalant guys who just "show up". They do everything so effortlessly and you wonder how they don't stress about anything. This type of personality contrasts with Hazel's so this will make for some very interesting dialogue!


As we were character-developing, Elly suggested that we created mood boards for our characters. Elly is a Pinterest mom so we want on her account and selected photos that would invoke further inspiration for character development.

As you can see, for Lucas we were inspired by cute film and television characters such as Archie from Riverdale and Aaron Samuels from glee. Both these characters have girls swooning over them and they have a typical "boy' style. What I mean by that is they don't dress too nice or too sloppy. They wear jeans and a t-shirt, maybe a jacket if they are feeling crazy. They have a relaxed demeanor and don't have to try to get girls, they just come to them.


As for Hazel, we were inspired by these photos as they had the "quirky' aspect in them. We really liked the outfits these girls were wearing and think that they would be perfect for hazel to wear. The yellow and pink tints also are something we may want to include in our from. We also like the flowers because they represent feminity, something very important to Hazel's character, allowing us to contracts her from Lucas.

I'm super excited to soon write a script based on the aforementioned!






No comments:

Post a Comment