Sunday, February 23, 2020

How do you even make a short film?


The question above is actually a very tricky one.

I did some research online in order to learn more about the topic of "short films". When I mean "research" I really mean typing into Google "How do you make a short film?".


***What I learned***

Short-films are not a lesser form of storytelling. It requires the same superb writing skills that writing a full-length one would take. It is simply on a smaller scale. Thus, it is extremely important to make everything count. Each line you write is crucial for moving the story from start to finish. We only have 5 minutes, so I plan to really take this into consideration. Also, it is important to create visual backstories for my characters. Utilizing this allows the audience to see and get a sense of the character's temperament, status, etc. Most importantly, I need a compelling story. It can be as simple as a girl just eating dinner with her family. But if we shoot it and write it well, it could be momentous.  Now, all I need is some inspiration for the story. I have been stressing over it a lot. I think the idea needs to come naturally. It will eventually hit me.... and I will be ready to catch it!

***What I "learned" but already knew because of this class***

It is crucial to have a story with a beginning, middle, and end. To do such, you need a script(obvious). The article recommends creating one in a proper format. Maybe I will do that to feel like a true screenwriter. The article also recommends that I create a storyboard. Now, I am probably one of the world's worst drawers so we will probably have Elizabeth take over this part. This will help us stay organized and allow us to meticulously plan each shot.

Sources:https://www.raindance.org/7-rules-for-writing-short-films/
https://www.nyfa.edu/student-resources/how-to-make-short-film/

No comments:

Post a Comment