Sunday, February 24, 2019

Character Driven Stories




It’s now the time for me to begin my portfolio project. Currently, I am overwhelmed as I don’t know where to begin. What kind of story do I wanna tell? Who will star in my film opening? Where will we shoot it?

                                         
 I have had a few discussions with my partner Andrea about our film opening and it’s starting to make me a bit less worrisome. We were casually talking about some of our favorite movies and we discovered that we both loved the movie “Ladybird”. It’s a coming-of-age film about a turbulent relationship between a mother and her teenage daughter. It’s a very character driven story. Character driven stories have always intrigued me. They can be a bit slow at times, but I am always in awe when I watch people’s inner transformations. I guess that means I like stories that are more “raw”, rather than a movie about robots and big explosions. 

                                   
                                      
                                     Ladybird(2017)



          
In my time as a “dedicated” high school student, I have deduced that when I do work that interests me, it turns out a whole lot better. I’m no psychology major, but this is probably because when you enjoy something, you tend to place more value on it, and therefore put more effort into it. As a result, Andrea and I are planning on doing a character driven story. I have no idea as to the “who”, “what”, “when”, “why”, “how”, but let me tell you this. This film opening will be memorable. Mark my words. 

I have begun to do some research in regards to character driven stories and this is what I have concluded:

A character driven film focuses on the inner conflicts within characters. In the beginning of the film a charter can have a specific outlook on life, and then at the end of story, view the world in a completely different way.  For instance, at the beginning of a film, a 16 year old girl could think that she unattractive and undeserving of a boy’s love. Yet, at the end of the film, she realizes that she believes all of this because she was never “properly” loved by her parents.  You see, it’s all about self-discovery.

I also have found that the characters in these character driven type movies have desires. They seek something more, something more magnificent. Over the course of the film, the character will experience what I now like to refer to as “hiccups”. They are the little obstacles that these characters will face as they attempt to reach their goal. They know why they want, but there are some obstacles in the way whether it be an over-protective mom or low self-esteem. At the end of the film, the character/characters will come to some sort of realization about their previous desires.
I now know that I need my film opening to establish an inner conflict within my character.  


No comments:

Post a Comment